Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Scavenger Hunt


This weeks theme for WFMW over at Rocks in my Dryer is "I'm bored"

  • One of my favorite things to do to get kids involved and off the couch is a Scavenger Hunt. There is nothing fancy about our scavenger hunts. Many times during the summer I have extra kids at my house. Most of the kids mom's work at the school and they have a few days here and there that they need someone to watch their kids. I am glad to pitch in. So I think of things around our block that the kids can go looking for. Sometimes they all go together and sometimes they break into teams and make a game out of it. I write everything on a piece of paper and send them on their way. It never fails that they want to make a list of their own and swap them and see who kind find everything the fastest. I always have some cheap-o Popsicles waiting when they get back.

  • My other favorite thing is an idea jar. Many ideas written on small pieces of paper. Reach in grab one and off we go. BUT, now I have 2 kids wanting to reach into the idea jar every time the subject is brought up. So I have a solution, my timer. Whoever draws and outside activity gets to go first and the inside activity is second. I set the timer for about 15 minutes and then we switch. We are just not at a stage where they will separate and do separate things, mostly because a 3 year old always follows a 6 year old.

So that is my 2 cents worth and I can't wait to read all the other ideas. Have a great Wednesday.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love the scavenger hunt idea! I'm definitely going to make up several of them for my kids this summer. :)