Friday, February 20, 2009

Schola Publications (Phonics Level 1)




The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading from Schola Publications has been another life saver for C this school year. As I noted in other posts, C had fallen behind in her reading and spelling because she was memorizing words and not learning to sound out words. My complaints and concerns fell on deaf ears at the school. This was a major factor in our decision to homeschool. We are so glad that we did. We have seen C's confidence in reading and spelling soar.
The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading seemed a little dry to me, but C has really taken to the simple program. Many of the beginning lessons were a review to her, but we went through them so that she could see the correct sounding and rules for phonics. I let C, sit with me as we went through the CD's. I wanted her to see that someone was teaching the same way that i had been trying to teach her. The first few weeks worth of CD's we went through fairly quickly, but slowed down when I saw that the info seemed to be new or needing more review.
Our favorite parts have been the readers that are in the back of the student (apprentice) book. The pages of the readers have a place where the student can draw a picture depicting what the story is about on that page. I wish I had batteries to my camera to show our samples, but those batteries died just before the Mardi Gras parade on Sunday :0! This method really helped improve C's narration, another thing that she was struggling with.
You an visit here to see the Scope & Sequence of each of the 4 years.
Visit here to request or view the Sample DVD that comes with the teacher (foreman) guides.











1 comment:

Homeschooling6 said...

Thank you for reviewing this. I plan to use this with my 3rd & 2nd graders in the fall.

Can you tell me if you will be using level 2? I can't seem to find anybody who uses this.

Appreciate your time =)

Linda<><
P.S. you can find me at www.homeschooling6.com I don't use my blogger acct. or the email connected to it, but I'm really interested in your reply :o)