Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Books Galore

I love going to the library. Visiting the library is always one of our first adventures when we move to a new town. Now, I have my gal C on the bandwagon with me, she loves to get her library card as much as I do. She takes having her own library card very seriously. At the library that we live closest to now, they have self check out. How awesome it is! There are 2 self check out centers side by side and we check out books at the same time.




Here is where we keep our library books. Separate from all the books that we own and confined so that they (hopefully) will not end up under beds or dressers or who knows where. That pink and brown bag is from The Old Schoolhouse. It is good and sturdy and will hold a good amount of books. C has her own bag from GA's and we fill them both up. The basket is metal and to heavy to carry.

The Happy Housewife has the idea to share what library books are working for you. She will have a linky up on her website once a month. You can participate by adding your list of books or doing a book review.



So now, a list of what is in our basket this month. Now please know that I don't force books on the kids. I do try to steer them away from some books and encourage them toward books that will challenge them. Some books they get just because it looks fun. Some of the books that C picked out she reads while spending some quiet time in her room. She has struggled with reading and has improved a lot this year. So some books are below her reading level and some above it and some of the books are for our 4 yr old little boy.

  • The Aurora County All Stars by Deborah Wiles. She also wrote another favorite of ours. Love, Ruby Lavendar is based in Mississippi, which is where we used to live.
  • Breakfast for Jack by Pat Shories No words, just pictures and I encourage the kids to make up a story to go along.
  • Animal Babies in the Rain Forest Cute baby animals
  • Belinda the Ballerina by Amy Young
  • Bertie at Bedtime by Marcus Pfister I got this because it is written by the same guy that worte Rainbow Fish
  • The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
  • My Freight Train by Michael Rex
  • The Big Bug Book by Margery Facklam great pictures, guess who that is for?
  • What Do Parents Do (when you're not home) by Jeanie Franz Ranson what children think their parents are doing at home without them.
  • Rainbow Fish to the Rescue by Marcus Pfister Same great fish that helps another fish avoid a shark
  • Spicy Hot Colors by Sherry Shahan names of colors in English and Spanish
  • Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert
  • The Library by Sarah Stewart
  • Daddy All Day Long by Franseca Rusackas
  • Tippy Toe Chick, Go by George Shannon
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue book 1 by Kate DiCamillo from the author of Because of Winn Dixie and The Tale of Despereaux, small chapter book, pretty easy reader, fun and quirky. 12 easy chapters.
  • Fairies, Trolls, & Goblins Galore Poems


School books - most of these we use just for pictures and some things to talk through while doing the lessons. We are just now getting to this in our lessons because I was able to do some reviews of other curriculum this year and we are back to our books.

  • Thanksgiving on Plymouth by Diane Stanley

  • Pilgrims in America by L.L. Owens

  • The Plymouth Colony by Pamela Dell

  • Squanto and the first Thanksgiving by Joyce K. Kessel

  • Eating the Plate: A Pilgrim Book of Food and Manners by Lucille Recht Penner my favorite, good realistic pictures

  • The Mayflower Pilgrims by Brenda Colloms

I also read:

You can probably find everyone of these books on Amazon. I linked a few so that you can read more about them.

8 comments:

nbalike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kiy said...

Loved your list for your little guy. I had to take a peek at quite a few over at Amazon and already put quite a few of them on our list for the future!

Have a great week! Kiy

Tracey said...

I'm always looking for new books for our girls to read. I'll have to check some of these out!

The Happy Housewife said...

Great list! I love eating the alphabet, that is one we check out over and over from the library. I will probably end up buying it soon!
Thanks for sharing!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com

Wendi said...

Thanks for this list. I may have to check out the Mercy Watson one - I'm always on the lookout for good chapter books for my 7yo son to read.

Laura Lee said...

What a GREAT list!! I don't think I've read very many of them at all, and I'm on my fourth little!! Def need to keep your list handy for our next trip to the library. :D

Amy said...

The Kissing Hand is such a sweet book. We haven't had it lately... I may put it on the list for next week! :)

Tori said...

Nice list. I think I will have to add some of these to my "look for list"! ^_^ Nice to visit your blog, too.