Thursday, October 2, 2008

IPOP31 -part 3- The True Woman

I am a few days late posting my IPOP31 Bible study post, but this one is a bit difficult for me. This weeks theme is The True Woman of Proverbs 31. Who is this woman and how can knowing her make you a better woman/wife/mother? I am not sure I am qualified to even guess on that subject.

Amy did a great job giving us examples of scripture that would lead us to look further into our own hearts. What does Christ want out of me? Am I listening and following?

Amy asks, Find other scriptures that are similar to particular verses in Proverbs 31.
I found (or it found me) James 1:27 "...to look after orphans and widows in their distress..." to be similar to Proverbs 31:8 "Speak up for those that have no voice, for justice of all who are dispossessed."
Many years before I began to homeschool my kids, God placed the desire to homeschool on my heart. We fought it. We thought that we were not cut out to teach our kids and we had no family back up to tell us we could do it. Now after beginning to homeschool, we feel we are doing exactly what God has wanted us to do all along.
Now there is another desire on my heart. I have to say sorry to my hubby if he reads this from the desert, but you know I have talked of this before. Wipe the surprised look off your face and start asking God if this is a desire for our family. That new desire is adoption. Particularly adopting from another country. That is why those two scriptures are what speak to me. I am once again being challenged by God. I so want to be a bride of Christ, a Proverbs 31 lady, and pass this test. In that, I will be able to see the desires of my heart. More on all of that later on.

Give an explanation as to why it is important that you don't compare yourself to other women. I can easily get caught up in blog hopping. Jumping from one blog to another to see what people are up to. My family always suffers when I do that, they get left to fend for themselves, and arguments always happen. I am suffering as well, because I always end up comparing myself to the women that I am reading about. I see a sugar coated version of their lives and wish that we managed that well. Truth is they may not be managing any better than we are. Comparing yourself to others is not living up to what God desires for us.

I hope that someone can help me with this scripture. There is a story that I just recently reread about. It is about a pros*titute that becomes a Christian and in turn saves her families lives. She hangs a red ribbon out of the window of the room that her family is hiding in and avoids death. I looked for it last night and could not find it.

That is all I have got for right now. I like where this Bible Study is taking me. I am also doing a Bible study on Wednesday night while my kids are in GA's and Mission Friends. Both of these Bible studies are asking me to look at the desires of my heart and God's purpose for me. Amazing that one compliments the other.

Have a good night y'all. I officially have a sick kid, so I am off to find what the military calls Vitamin M (motrin).
Amanda

3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

The story you are looking for is of Rahab. The first mention of her is in Joshua 2. She was, indeed, a harlot, but she provided great help, as you know. She's even mentioned in Hebrews 11, as a woman of faith.

Amico Dio said...

Yes, Rahab! I am nearly in tears reading through all of this. To know that God has spoken to your heart about adoption is awesome! I mean, that is just breath taking. God is so good and that is exactly what I prayed He would do is reveal those desires of our heart to us...the ones He gave to us. I am so blessed by your post. Thank you so much for sharing!

Elaine said...

You've already gotten the answer to your question about the prostitute in Joshua - I love that story as it shows us that God reaches out to everyone, everywhere.

Thanks for sharing your heart with us and a special thanks for the sacrifice your family is making for the country.

ElaineH
my blog is at:
http://akhmmm.wordpress.com